New update: Red Chilli Hideaway now also has a flat available. The flat contains a kitchen, sitting room with satalite TV, bedroom and bathroom. Discounts available for long stays. For prices, please have a look at our price list.
We have now been three years in in our fantastic purpose-built site on our own land and we believe that the Red Chilli now represents even better value for money. Whilst our prices remain exactly the same as in our old home, just take a look at some of our new and improved facilities!
- Great value accommodation: set in 5 leafy acres, in one of Kampala’s quieter and safer suburbs (Butabika). We cater for self-campers and also provide dorm beds & private rooms (with or without en-suite facilities) Check-in from 2pm onwards and check-out by 10 am. See rates below.
- Swimming Pool: 16m salt-water swimming pool with baby pool. Free of charge for our residents!
- Complimentary shuttle bus: operating between Red Chilli and the centre of town. We have a 10-seater minibus that departs Butabika at 9am, 12pm and 4pm daily and terminates at the Nakumatt Oasis Shopping Mall (next to Garden City Mall) on Kitante Road. Departs town at 10.30am, 1.30pm and 5.30pm, also from Nakumatt Oasis. Please book ahead at reception or by email/phone to avoid disappointment as we can only take 10 passengers on each shuttle. Please note – the driver may not deviate from the set route! Special hire taxis can be arranged on request at any time and are available on site at Butabika.
- Fully stocked bar: open daily from 7am until midnight, with booze for sale from 10am. Lots of communal areas to kick back and relax – including a beer terrace and a separate pool-side bar.
- Á la carte restaurant: serving excellent breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks from 6:45am until 9.30pm. Sunday from 6:00pm -9:00pm, is a pool-side BBQ night. Mouth-watering pizzas are baked in our wood-burning pizza oven outside. Mondays to Fridays, from 6:00pm- 9:00pm and Saturdays from 1:30pm – 9:00pm . Our inside bar, restaurant and all accommodation areas are non-smoking, however smoking is permitted on the beer terrace and at the pool bar.
- FREE wireless 4G internet access (with connections available for laptops) in our reception/internet lounge area only. Available between the hours of 7am and 11pm and subject to connection. Our systems are on a timer and will shut down automatically at approx 11pm. We also have one public internet stations and a cable connection. Please understand that the internet connection in Uganda is far from perfect, and at times is very slow and erratic!
- Satellite TV: Offering sports and news updates in the bar area, and a choice of viewing in the residential TV room. Look out for special movie nights!
- Pool table, dart board and table tennis: available in return for a small (or large!) donation to our chosen charity: The Steve Willis Memorial Fund & a security deposit of 20,000/= for the darts, balls, cues, paddles etc. The deposit is refundable, providing the items are returned in one piece and not damaged!
- Self-Catering Kitchen & laundry block: located in our campsite for those who would prefer to self-cater. We have a basic camp kitchen, equipped with sink, cooker, fridge & external barbecues and picnic tables – but please note, we do not provide cutlery and crockery. You must provide your own cooking utensils. Separate laundry room available next door.
- Library: We have a small library and welcome book swaps in return for a small donation to the Steve Willis Memorial Fund. Please ask at reception/bar.
- Board games: we have a small selection for use, free of charge, from behind the bar.
- Laundry: A hand-wash laundry service is available for residents for a small charge or there is a designated self-catering laundry block. Please ask at reception/bar for more details. No underwear, shoes or totally filthy clothing to be handed in to be washed! We cannot guarantee that the laundry will be dry on the same day, due to weather conditions. Please note that if you hand in white clothing, it will definitely be returned to you cleaner, but we cannot guarantee it will be whiter!
- Office Facility: we offer printing, scanning & photocopying facilities in the administration office for a donation to our charity- the Steve Willis Memorial Fund. Please note the office may not always be open – either outside of office hours or when we are out receiving deliveries etc. Just ask at the bar if the door’s closed!
- Consumables: for sale at the bar, including cigarettes, snacks and drinks. We also sell shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste and brushes, mozzie spray, postcards, stamps and other useful items at reception. For more choice, you will find several shops, markets & restaurants located within a short walking distance from Red Chilli Hideaway.
- Back-up generator and inverter: these keep things ticking over when the power fails, as it so often does in Uganda! When we are running on inverter or generator, please note only the lights are connected to the back-up power supply; plug sockets and fans in the rooms and bar area are not.
Around the camp: We are situated in an enclosed compound in a clean and safe area of Kampala. We have on-site security around the clock with radio links for back up and CCTV throughout the main building. All guests and visitors alike are required to sign in and out. Management reserves the right of admission.
In and around Kampala: Generally, Kampala is a safe place..just be aware of what is going on around you and be vigilant for pick-pockets! Avoid wearing “bling” jewellery or pulling your fat wallet out in public! If you take the local taxis, known as “matatus”, please keep an eye on your belongings. Carry small change in your pocket to pay the conductor.
Night time: ..again generally safe. We understand that boda-bodas (motorbike taxis) are the quickest and cheapest way to get around, but if you do take them, try and take recommended or known drivers. Please make sure you are dropped back off at our gate, rather than on the road. We would advise clients to take special hire taxis late at night, rather than bodas. Please ask at the bar for one of our recommended boda/taxi drivers.
Valuables: We have self-service lockers and a secure luggage store – usage free of charge. You can buy new padlocks for the lockers at the reception or use your own locks. Please don’t leave any valuables lying around unattended in and around Red Chilli – we have an extremely good safety record, but there is no point in tempting fate! Don’t leave any valuables in the dorm rooms, even if you’re just popping out for a few minutes. Red Chilli Hideaway Ltd accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to your valuables and you bring and/or store your valuables at your own risk.
GREAT VALUE ACCOMMODATION RATES!
For the accommodation price list, please go to our accommodation rates to get the updated rates for Kampala.
Tours, transport & activities
Safaris and trips:
We offer scheduled Red Chilli Tours to Murchison Falls and Queen Elizabeth National Parks. Check out our information board at Red Chilli or click on the link above for the trip details. We are also able to advise on and/or book a wide range of other different activities and trips, including chimp trekking, white water rafting and other adventurous activities. We also arrange car and 4×4 vehicle hire. Please contact us via the website or visit us at our office.
Airport Transfers and Special Hire Taxis:
Airport transfers can be arranged by saloon car or minibus. We can also arrange local transport from Red Chilli. Larger groups can be accommodated in buses – please ask for further details. …And for anything else, just ask, and we will do our best to help you. :0)
How to Get Here:
By Public Transport:
Catch a minibus taxi from the Old Taxi Park or at Nakawa, heading to Butabika via Luzira/Kirombe or Mutungo/Biina. Get off at Butabika Hospital gates & take the second turning on the right, before Royal Palms & Gems International School. We are at the bottom of this road (500m from the hospital).
Take Port Bell Road from town & turn left onto Kireka Rd, after Bugolobi junction, in front of the Gaz petrol station. Take the second turning on the right, after the mosque. Continue along Old Butabika Rd for 2.5km until you reach a T-junction at Biina Church. Turn left & then left again at the next T-junction. Pass Butabika Hospital on the left hand side & then take the second turning on the right, before Royal Palms & Gems International School. We are at the bottom of the road (500m from the hospital).
Alternatively you can access Butabika from Kitintale or Luzira, further along Port Bell Rd. See map below.
Our new home is located right next to the exclusive Royal Palms estate, with shops and public transport conveniently within 500m. It is a safe and peaceful area, but still within easy reach of the city. We look forward to welcoming you through our brand new doors!
Our physical Location
We accept payment in Uganda Shillings (Ugx) and US Dollars cash. We also accept VISA credit cards only. The visa card machine does not always work due to bank communication issues so please don’t wait until the last minute to pay for trips or bar tabs as the machine might not be performing at that time! Please note that Visa payments must be for a minimum of US$20 and are subject to a 4.2% bank charge.
Our buying and selling rates for US Dollar cash payments vary depending on the prevailing exchange rate. Please enquire if you wish to know the current month’s rate. Please note that although the Uganda Shilling is generally stable, exchange rates may be subject to rapid change.
We only accept dollar bills dated from 2006 onwards. We sadly cannot accept any dollar bills with any sort of writing/markings/tears on them as they are not accepted by our banks in Uganda. If the note turns white under our money-checker we cannot accept it. Apologies for any inconvenience!
We are not a licenced Bureau de Change & as such cannot exchange foreign currency cash for you. It is best to change money at banks and foreign exchanges in Kampala as rates at other establishments and elsewhere in the country can be a lot lower. Credit cards other than Visa are not widely accepted in Uganda and many ATMS have a maximum cash withdrawal amount from Visa.